Thursday, September 17, 2009

Update on Kiln

I had an electrician come out to access the damage to the kiln and determine what actually happened the night the main 200amp breaker was tripped. As you can see by the picture of the burnt wiring inside the wall socket, we had an arc of electricity. Apparently, the screws that hold the wiring in place will over time be vibrated loose by the electricity running through. As you can see in the picture, the screw that is attached to the burnt area of wiring is out much farther that the other two screws, this caused the arc and power surge. I now have to have the wall socket , the power supply cord to my kiln, the wiring running from the socket to the breaker box, and the 60 amp breaker inside the breaker box replaced. I am waiting on the shipment of the power supply cord to arrive before having the electrician come back out. Once the replacements have been made, I hope to have a working kiln again. I am however unsure if the elements were damage. A resistance test can determine if any are bad or will need replacing sooner than later.

No comments: