Friday, January 9, 2009

Getting back in the swing of things

Yea!! The kids have been back in school this week. Hubby is away at work and I have the whole house to myself. Time to get back in the swing of things. Don't get me wrong I love my kids but I really needed to get into the studio and work without a lot of interruptions. I have so many ideas and plans for 2009 running through my head. I must keep focused and get to work.

I am planning on getting a jumpstart on the 2009 limited edition snowflakes. My goal is 500 for 2009, at least twice as many as I have done before. So far, 12 down and 488 more to go. Well that is, 12 cut out and drying now, 488 more to cut out. Still 500 to bisque fire, glaze, glaze fire, and lustre fire, and package in neat boxes. Not a tall goal to accomplish but when you factor in LIFE, it will take me the rest of the year to fit them in.

I am planning on adding more ceramic beads, pendants, and jewelry to my websites this month. Today is a beautiful sunny day. A great day to get some photographs shot, so I can add more products. I plan on adding more to etsy in the next few days so, make sure you check them out at www.tgldesigns.etsy.com

One of my goals is to get published in a magazine. I decided in the fall that the only way to accomplish that goal was to start sending in pics of the finished jewelry that I make. In the last two weeks I have sent in a necklace and pair of earrings to one magazine, (at their request..a great first step to accomplishing my goal..yea!!) and colored porcelain beads to another publication. Wish me luck on those. I plan on this year sending in more ideas.

We have decided to use Time Warner Cable for our tv service provider so all those crafty clay shows I have saved on our current DVR will be lost forever, so this week I have been watching them over and over again and taking notes to remember the neat projects and tips. It has really got my wheels spinning. I was inspired to try hand building functionalware. I attempted to make a porcelain hand built bowl, but it cracked during the drying process. I let it dry to fast. I will have to keep trying. Once my stoneware clay is reconstituted, I can attempt to make another bowl. The grog will help in the hand building process. The first bowl inspired a basket idea so, I went yesterday to Lowes and Home Depot in search of a round tube that was inexpensive. PVC at Lowes came in a 6" diameter but a 2' section was $15.00. It would be perfect to use as a drape mold but too expensive. At Home Depot, no 6" diameter pva but a salesman helped me find air duct material. It came in various diameters. I purchases a 2' section that is 7" in diameter for $4.00. It may be too flimsy to use as a drape mold but I think it can be worked with. I will let you know what happens.

These are just a few of my plans for 2009, I also plan on marketing more and doing more shows. For now ....
Hi-Ho Hi-Ho it's off to work I go.
Until next time
Tracy

No comments: